For the past 50 years the National Farmers Union has been seeking to protect and promote family farms. We are a grassroots organization representing thousands of farmers across the country seeking progressive solutions to the myriad problems facing farmers and the food system by advocating for policy changes at all levels of government. Our ED will be a creative and well-rounded individual who thrives on working with knowledgeable and passionate staff and volunteers to achieve crucially important goals for farmers and eaters. The successful applicant will bring passion, dedication and a knowledge of the tools and dynamics of the not-for-profit community. Canada’s agricultural landscape is currently undergoing significant change. Our ED will be a key front line person involved in charting the NFU’s course to address the critical issues facing farmers and our communities today.
● To implement the strategic goals and objectives of the National Farmers Union
● With the President and Executive Committee, enable the Board to fulfill its governance functions and strategic goals, including planning and co-ordination of annual national convention
● To make recommendations for the achievement of the National Farmers Union’s philosophy, mission, strategy and its annual goals and objectives
● Enable and coordinate NFU’s public visibility, liaison, networking with media, the government, the public and the agricultural sector using him/herself, the President and Board members as may be efficient and effective
● Assist the Board with leadership and visioning by developing, evaluating and reporting on long-range and annual plans
● Propose initiatives and strategies that will advance the work of the NFU
● 30 hour work week, with some evening and some weekend work required
● Work from home office and/or the National Office in Saskatoon
● Travel will be required
● Bilingualism in both official languages is not required but would be strongly considered an asset.
● Salary range will be $45,000 – $52,000 plus benefits, commensurate with experience
● Education: Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience in the agricultural field, natural sciences, the social sciences, community development, or a related field.
● Experience: Significant management, administrative, and visionary leadership in a similar organization.
Please email all inquiries and your application, including a cover letter, resume, and three references, to Hiring Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject heading “Executive Director Position”. Please submit your application in the form of a PDF document with all three required elements in the following order: cover letter, resume, references.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled, with a final CLOSING DATE of Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 9:00 a.m. CST. Early applicants may be offered an interview before the closing date.
The National Farmers Union is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from individuals in equity-seeking groups including Indigenous and racialized people, 2SLBGQT+ people, and persons with disabilities. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter or application if they are a member of an equity-seeking group.
We thank all applicants for their time and interest, however only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Interviews will begin the week of August 12, 2019 or sooner for early applicants.