We are hiring! Executive Assistant
The National Farmers Union is a direct-membership organization made up of Canadian farm families who share common goals. NFU members work together to achieve agricultural policies that ensure dignity and security of income for farm families while enhancing the land for future generations, working nationally and internationally for farmers and social justice. The National Farmers Union is unique among farm organizations in working for people’s interests against corporate control of our food system.
The Executive Assistant is a part-time (15 hours/week) contract position. Work is in the Saskatoon, SK office. Training and mentorship will be provided to support the candidate’s development of digital, administrative, communications, and soft skills.
The Role & Responsibilities
The Executive Assistant’s responsibilities include the following:
- Communications with members and others through management of the NFU email account; distribution of emails to appropriate staff; ensuring responses are provided to all inquiries
- Supporting National and Regional Conventions through Zoom and/or in-person administration: arrangements, communications, sponsorship, and minutes
- Supporting the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee with agendas, minutes, emails, reminders and meeting logistics.
- Supporting the Caucuses and Working Groups with Zoom meeting logistics and communications
- Membership engagement, communication, outreach
- Membership database management, upgrades, and use
- Telephone reception and handling of incoming/outgoing mail
- General office support (filing, mailing, membership tracking, donation receipting)
- Supporting the office transition, as determined appropriate, from paper-based to electronic files and platforms
- Other duties as assigned
The Executive Assistant reports to the Director of Finance and Administration for administrative roles and to the NFU Executive Director regarding membership and employment.
This is a part-time, contract position (15 hours per week), at a rate of $18 per hour from date of hire through May 2023 with a possibility of extension based on performance and funding. The Executive Assistant works from the office in Saskatoon, SK.
Hours are Mon – Fri with some flexibility as to the days and hours worked. The Executive Assistant works in-person with the Director of Finance and Administration. Conversations with the Executive Director, who works remotely, will be as often as is needed.
The Ideal Candidate
You, the ideal candidate, are a highly-organized, responsible person who is focussed and effective. You have share the NFU’s goals and a passion for creating a food and farm system in Canada that supports farmers, farms, rural communities, and the ecosystem. Ideally, you have some experience in agriculture, either directly or through schooling. You are eager to take initiative in your tasks but are also willing to check in, receive feedback and continuously learn. You see your role as key to the functioning of a vibrant progressive organization. You have a high degree of professionalism and are innately organized. You have strong written and communication skills and, ideally, are also fluent in French. You love managing lots of incoming information and taking ownership for great results.
The Executive Assistant will have:
- Organizational skills to manage the administrative tasks in an office
- Ability to communicate with genuine interest on the phone and via email
- An understanding of agriculture and social justice in Canada and interest to learn
- Ability to work collaboratively while taking responsibility for deliverables
- Attention to detail, accuracy, conscientiousness
- Interest in learning membership and fund development
- A proactive, positive, industrious, and socially-conscientious attitude
- Commitment to diversity, inclusivity and respect
- Technical skills are a asset – willingness to learn is required
- Communications – Excellent written and spoken English
- Proficiency in French is highly valued
- Proficiency in online communications including Mailchimp and WordPress is an asset
The NFU is committed to creating and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. We encourage applicants of diverse race, ethnicity, gender identity, age, religion, ability, sexual orientation, and gender expression.
The NFU will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs. If you require accommodations during the interview process, please include them with your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday June 15th.