The National Farmers Union of Canada invites you to apply for the following position:
La Via Campesina North America Region – Part-time Communication Specialist
A communication specialist is required to support the ten (10) organizations that make up the North American Region of La Via Campesina. La Via Campesina is an international movement bringing together millions of peasants, small and medium size farmers, landless people, rural women and youth, indigenous people, migrants and agricultural workers from around the world. Built on a strong sense of unity, solidarity between these groups, it defends peasant agriculture for food sovereignty as a way to promote social justice and dignity and strongly opposes corporate driven agriculture that destroys social relations and nature.
The communication specialist will liaison with the LVC International Operating Secretariat communication team, making sure that the North American Region’s activities and media is shared. He/she/they will also ensure that international communications are circulated to national media and member organizations. The communication specialist will support dialogue between North American member organizations, leaders, funders and the broader movement. Other duties include supporting the Regional Communication Collective, Women’s and Youth Articulations, Regional Coordinators and more. He/She/They will be expected to create and implement a Regional communication plan and will be responsible for completing a shared work plan with other Regional staff to ensure effective Regional operations.
The position requires a high level of expertise in both Spanish and English to assist in interpretation and translation of documents. Expertise in the French language will be considered an asset.
The position will be accountable to the North American Regional Coordinators and will be expected to work closely with other Regional staff.
One-year contract with the possibility for renewal. The position will run from January 2020 to December 31, 2020. Salary to be determined on the basis of experience.
• Formal training in communications, journalism, public relations or related field
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Proficient in social media and web-based communication
• Excellent critical thinking skills and the ability to exercise good judgment and solve problems quickly and effectively
• Able to work in a team environment
• Experience in movement building and activism
• Proficiency in Spanish
• Technical expertise in Regional thematic priority areas is considered an asset. These include climate and environmental justice, peasant and migrant rights, agroecology and trade policy
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Please submit your CV/resume to email@example.com no later than 12:00 midnight CST on Monday, December 30, 2019.