Katie Ward returned as NFU President at 52nd Annual Convention
The National Farmer Union is pleased to announce that Katie Ward was returned through acclamation as President of the National Farmers Union at the 52nd Annual National Convention held virtually November 25 to 27, 2021. Notably, an historic constitutional amendment was passed at this convention. The BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Colour) Caucus was established, creating the positions of BIPOC President and BIPOC Vice-President.
Results of the national officer elections are as follows:
- Katie Ward of Woodlawn, ON, acclaimed as President
- Bess Vanzandwyk of Fort St. John, BC, acclaimed as Women’s President
- Jessie MacInnis of Tatamagouche, NS, acclaimed as Youth President
- Cheyenne Sundance of Toronto, ON acclaimed as BIPOC President
- Will Robbins of Laura, SK, acclaimed as First Vice-President (Policy)
- Stewart Wells of Swift Current, SK, acclaimed as Second Vice-President (Operations)
- Coral Sproule of Perth, ON, acclaimed as Women’s Vice-President
- Amber Dyck of Gore Bay, ON, acclaimed as Youth Vice-President
- Sunil Levinson Puri of Ancaster, ON acclaimed as BIPOC Vice-President
The National Farmers Union is a grassroots farmer organization advocating for farm families across Canada since 1969. Members work together to achieve agricultural policies that ensure dignity and income security for farm families while protecting and enhancing rural environments for future generations. The NFU advocates for a food system based on the principles of food sovereignty, which calls for a food system that values farmers and what they grow; rebuilds relationships between food producers and those who eat; reclaims local decision making about food production and environmental protection; and strengthens connections between people and the land, empowering communities and citizens to make intentional decisions based on local needs and conditions to ensure a resilient and sustainable future. The NFU collaborates locally, nationally and internationally to research, educate and share effective solutions that lead to a better world for farm families and their local communities.