Farm family membership
Why should I be a member of the National Farmers Union if I am a farmer?
Promote and Defend Family Farming in Canada
Member families of the Union believe that through an organization that represents producers of all commodities produced in Canada, it is possible to promote the family farm as the most appropriate and efficient means of agricultural production. Our goal is to work together to achieve agricultural policies which will ensure dignity and security of income for farm families while enhancing the land for future generations.
Build Food Sovereignty
Food sovereignty is about people having power in the food system to make decisions that will ensure food and farming serve communities and health, and are not simply means to enrich a few large corporations. Food sovereignty means we work together to ensure there is economic justice in the food system, a healthy eco-system, young people involved in food and farming along with the older generation, making sure that agriculture is primarily about feeding people (not cars or corporations) and that there is local control over the land and production decisions.
Protect the Environment
We depend on the environment. Rural and urban people must take joint responsibility for how it is treated. Progressive, environmentally-conscious farming people are troubled by environmental problems, but current agriculture policy and the kind of economics it promotes make it very difficult for many of us to change our farming practices.
We work for fair prices for the food we produce so that we are not forced to 'mine our soil' just to remain viable. We promote public policy which fosters farming practices that lead to long term environmental and financial sustainability.
Strengthen Rural Communities
Society is enhanced by a balance between larger, more industrialized urban centres and stable, vibrant rural communities. Stemming the current rural depopulation and the dispossession of farm families requires renewed commitment to, and investment in, rural communities. The accelerating drain of wealth and people from the countryside is neither just nor sustainable. The NFU works with allies, creating social and economic strategies to achieve a just and healthy balance between rural and urban communities.
A Proud Heritage
Progressive farm movements have been at the forefront of the struggles for social and political justice in the past including the fight for Medicare in Saskatchewan (and eventually all of Canada), better publicly-funded education and social services, and equality for women (e.g. farm union women led the campaign for the vote and later Matrimonial Property Acts).
The National Farmers Union:
- promotes fair trade policies and food sovereignty for the benefit of farmers and consumers, rather than trade deals and globalization that only benefit multinational agribusiness;
- works for fair taxation policies;
- supports public investment in, and control of, transportation and agricultural research for the benefit of all;
- supports the orderly marketing of food for the mutual well being of food producers and consumers.
- took a leading role in getting the ban on Bovine Growth Hormone in Canada and to prevent the introduction of GMO wheat.
- is a member of La Via Campesina, the international movement of small farmers
An NFU membership gives you:
- a vote in your NFU local and the opportunity to serve as a delegate or elected official at the local, regional or national level
- an opportunity to work with other members on issues that matter to farmers
- an NFU membership card;
- invitations to NFU activities and meetings, including the annual National Convention;
- a subscription to the Union Farmer Quarterly magazine – an important source of information and analysis of food and farm issues;
- an effective, practical way of practicing solidarity with progressive farmers in Canada.
Become an NFU Member
Do you farm? Become a Member
Not a farmer? Become an Associate Member
Make a donation
Attend National Convention
Subscribe to our RSS feed to get notifications when new items are posted.
Find us on: Facebook
What is the NFU?
The National Farmers Union is a direct-membership voluntary organization made up of Canadian farm families who share common goals. It is the only farm organization incorporated through an Act of Parliament.
NFU members believe that the problems facing farmers are common problems, and that farmers producing diverse products must work together to advance effective solutions. The NFU works toward the development of economic and social policies that will maintain the family farm as the primary food-producing unit in Canada.